Saturday, June 27, 2015

The high school story

It's hard to avoid thinking about high school when a girl you went to high school with is on TV playing soccer. #gonumber5

In addition to that I moderated a small panel who spoke about their academic life and the transition into their professional life once school ended.

A couple of pieces of background information:
I've never worked with UGA before, I've never been a moderator of any panel or led a live discussion, and I had never met anybody that I worked with before starting. We shook hands and then got to work.

Some takeaways from my first-time-feeling-event:

1. We are looking for answers.
Everybody in the classroom was a journey. We didn't quite know where they were going, but we knew a few things, and one of them being the search they were on.

2. We are looking for people with the answers.
I think what really floored me was that I used to be in their seat. I used to go to conferences and get contact information from people and follow up. I used to be the guy who would always ask, "If you have a some time, could I ask you some questions about what your journey's been like so far?" I'm still looking for people with answers.

3. We are looking for people with answers who are willing to help.
We know when we have met someone if they are going to help, or they are there for some personal gain. If you don't know what I'm talking about, tell me, how long did you wait before you skipped an ad on youtube? Or closed out a pop up ad?

The reason that in field training events are so popular is because the community that is created upon arrival and developed throughout the workshop. Makes me wonder about how to connect and lead the community of Chick-fil-A at large and the leaders within restaurants-ex: GM, HPLT, and Directors.

Have you have had a watershed moment when you knew that you had left one group and stepped into  a different group? I would love to hear about that process for you in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment