Tuesday, June 23, 2015

It's time to decide

I got a text from a friend that said, "Hey, I need some advice."

After the conversation started I knew my friend was working for a boss that he disagreed with on multiple levels. 

After hearing him out I said the decision is simple: you can either stay or go. 

If you've never left a job before this can be turbulent times. My friend hasn't left high school and is very mature, so this is a big deal to him: what do I do? How do I decide? 

Countless thoughts run through your head: am I going to find a job that pays the same or more? How will this affect my relationships with my current coworkers? Will I be able to secure a letter of recommendation? Should I even ask for one? Will my conscience be clear? Is this the direction I want my life to go: swapping jobs when things aren't perfect? How can I solicit my Maker for guidance? Where will I have the most influence? If I decide to stay, how can I learn to work under someone I disagree with? 

I think what's hard about this is we can't see the future. So, we must invent it. Is leaving more profitable because of a more clear conscience? Or do I stick it out and pay the bills and obligations I've created for myself?

Most people I've met will move jobs multiple times throughout their professional lives. How to decide is where the challenge lies. Here's a couple of things to think about:

View your industry: is this the environment you want? Can you create the change you would like to see? 

Since my friend works for Chick-fil-A, one of the questions that has driven many Operators from within the company is: do you think you could do better? 

I guess that's the real challenge. Are you bold enough and patient enough to stay and make changes? Or do you not want to do that, turn in your two weeks' notice and be gone?

I don't know if I've really answered his burning questions but I do know how to exhaust at least some of the options. 

Good boss or bad boss: you can lead from anywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment