Thursday, June 18, 2015

Crucial Conversations: A Book Review

I just finished reading Crucial Conversations: Tool for Talking When the Stakes are High by Patterson, Grenny, McMillan, and Switzler.

First off: when people say it's a great book, I think they mean it was a great book for me at that time. And such is the case here. I needed to hear what this book had to say. Two people who were close to my at the time of the reading of it said these things to my face:

"I've seen you change over the past three days just in how you talk to other people." -AP
"This is the first time I've heard you be completely transparent and vulnerable in a long time." RJ
This book caught my attention like a school kid getting jerked to a stop by a principal for running in the hall way. Boom. Immediately.

I was watching and listening to how people responded to me and I didn't like what I was seeing. I wasn't effective as communicating how I felt, I wasn't good at responding with a lack of emotion and a clear thinking cap on.

I basically was struggling to communicate.

This book as opened my eyes up to several ways to prevent those things. As I got to the end of the book my Chick-fil-A brain took over and my only question was, "Can I please have a print out of the major points so I can get back to work now!?"

Wouldn't ya know it? They put one in the back just for me! Page 214. I'm on my way to executing crucial conversations.

This book clearly explains how to maneuver crucial conversations: estate planning after the death of a loved one, a closed off teenage son/daughter, intimacy between spouses, and various business issues. I could not recommend this book high enough for those practicing the art of conversing.

Find it here.  Good luck.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment