Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The First Time I Met Truett

It was at Chick-fil-A LeaderCast 2011.

I had volunteered to help out with lunch. Two things I was told about lunch-we don't have enough people to help and we will be feeding a lot of people in a short amount of time.

Chick-fil-A has the incredible ability to do more with less than any group of people I have ever seen. We served 3600 meals in a hour and fifteen minutes. Overwhelmed would be the best word to describe how we felt when we finished.

We were told that after we got done working, we could go and listen to the afternoon speakers and walk around and such. The work experience was fine, but I wanted to listen to who was talking and hear what they were saying.

When the conference was over I said to myself, I bet Truett is here, let me see if I can't shake his hand while I'm here. I found a small crowd of people and realized it was Truett who was at the center of attention just saying hey to people.

I waited my turn and said my rehearsed line like I had practiced a million times in my head before that moment. I shook his hand and said, "You have no idea how easy you make my job, thank you for all you do." I will never forget his response.

"I'm sorry that I don't know the team members like I used to, it's people like you that keep me with a job."

The hair on the back of my neck stood up. I didn't know what to say. I think I sort of smiled and walked off. The rest of the memory is blurry at that point, but the meat of what was said has been engrained in my brain ever since.

How humble. How grateful of a man.

Have you ever met Truett Cathy? What was it like? Where were you? Do you have a favorite story about him? Have you read his books? Have you seen his car collection? Please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment