Sunday, May 18, 2014

Scouting, Part 2

Scouting, take two.

As I look back on my scouting experience most of the highlights I can remember are moments wrapped up in learning. For about a stretch of four and a half to five years, I injured myself in some way on every campout we went on. About the time I finished scouting, I grew into my body and became less clumsy. I say less clumsy, because a bull in a China shop doesn't know any better. 

I know there is a reason that First Aid is always one of the first topics covered, and I am that reason. 

Another learning scenario would be rank advancements. One of the powerful tools scouting has to offer is the idea of meritocracy. If you desire to advance in rank, you can put yourself in a position to do that. Before you earn a rank, there are lots of criteria to cover. You must past test, have people sign off on which activities you have completed, and on and on. 

My dad told me, again, that experience is the best teacher, but also the most painful. 

The rank advancements were a challenge to me because I had trouble getting the uniform right. At work, right now, there is roughly nine specific things I wear everyday to make sure I am dressed correctly. When I was in scouting there is about 20 items I had to have on my person when I went for my "Board of Review", the meeting before the meeting to make sure you passed the rank advancement test. 

Double. 

Are you kidding me? For a 13 year old? I thought the people in charge were nuts. Look at the numbers of what I had to go through to make it to another rank. That's hard work. 

Fast forward to my professional life. 

The uniform/clothes we wear play a major role in the story. At Chick-fil-A there is a look. There is a culture. And the two go hand in hand. When we want people to perceive us in some way, we dress the part to get the desired outcome. 

I taught a "how to get hired" class at Fivay High School. One of my favorite classes was the one where pictures were put up for everybody to see and then the discussion. 

A look at Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Shawn White and it's easy to see the difference in the personality. One was a preacher, the other a skateboarder. 

What does your attire say about you? 

What is your favorite outfit to wear? How doe it make you feel? I want to know if you have go-to pair of shoes or a tie that sets off the ensemble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment