Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Scouting, Part 1

Scouting is a game with a purpose.

The game is backpacking, canoeing, hiking, camping, merit badges, the uniform.

But there is something neat about scouting that you can also find in REMARKable organizations. Within Scouting lies a lightbulb moment for some boys. The moment where someone says, hey, I can do this differently if I just tried a little harder, or cared a little more. With this small amount of effort, look what I might accomplish.

I love those moments.

Have you ever seen that happen for someone who is close to you? Personally, professionally?

The moment where someone just gets it. And then, as calmly as a light pushes out darkness in a room, that person is transformed into what they were in to what they might become. And the thinking is "if, then." If I try, then I could do it. If I major in this subject, then I can become successful. If I care for someone else, then someone might care for me in the future. If I give, then I will begin the process of receiving.

After about a 45 minute conversation with my former Scout Master several nights ago, he encouraged me to never give up on someone. Never. He and I have been taught to look for the lightbulb moments and kids.

I wanted to share a piece of the puzzle that is a part of my make up. It is the Scout Law.

A Scout is...
Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
and Reverent.

When this principles are instilled in you from age 12-18 every week and sometimes on the weekends, you can't help absorb some of this stuff. It's simple. It's easy to read, it's easy to memorize.

The hard part is execution.

I have spoken with several Eagle Scouts and one time I heard one tell me, "I can tell when I meet another Eagle Scout." I replied, "How do you know?" I remember very clearly him say, "You can just tell."

I don't know whether the fella was just pulling my leg, and maybe you have found this to be the case. When someone around you has an enormous amount of confidence, you wonder where they get it. For me, Scouting has and continues to play a vital role in my development.

What program have you gone through that has given you a lightbulb moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment