Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Help, I've fallen and I can't get up

If you have ever had back pain, then you know exactly what I am talking about.

There are few activities or medicines that actually remove in its' entirety the pain in the back. Such is the moments that I am living in now. I am hurting like I have never hurt before. I have played some football with some big strong men who have hit me very hard. I have had to date, five concussions. But back pain puts you in a different position. No pun intended.

Ok it was intended.

As I lay flat most of the day I have drawn some conclusions about what I can learn from back pain.

1. Dependency on others.

I cannot do this alone. I need help with most activities, primarily driving. I cannot sit upright for more than about 30 seconds without intense pain. So driving is pretty much out of the question. I instantly have moved from driver to passenger. Um, I have control issues and this ain't helping.

With most intense pain comes medication. I have to be reminded what time it is in order to keep the pain subdued.

2. Flexibility

It's definitely a pun at this point. This week I had some excellent plans. I had lined up meetings, and set up schedules so that I could make the most out of my time. Most of my plans have changed because I cannot tolerate the pain that it would take to drive myself places.

Dinner with the family had to change because I can't sit at a table like a normal human.

3. Seek help

I have brainstormed with every person that I have told about my back pain about the options. Who to talk to, who can I get medicine from, what are my options?

I know there might be some overkill on the analogy, but when life lines up a beautiful blog post, I'm going to bend over backwards to see it through. (I just had to get one more in.)

When has a physical constraint changed your daily activities? How did you learn to deal with the stress of change? What did you learn from pain?

1 comment:

  1. Importance. Moreover, Alpha-lipoic acid is important in neural degeneration and in preventing difficulties in diabetes while r-alpha lipoic acid
    is important in decreasing the effects of aging.

    ReplyDelete