Wednesday, April 2, 2014

When we are seniors, we are going to...

do it differently.

Everybody who gets to senior year wants to make a name for themselves. All of the sudden you get excited about the events you used to dread. Maybe it was prep rallies, maybe you actually showed up to a Friday night football game, maybe you dressed up one day during homecoming week.

I don't know what it was for you, but things changed when you became a senior.

For me, one of the most powerful life lessons I learned as a leader was leading up to my senior season of football. I had been behind the starters for what seemed like forever waiting my turn to get a shot at playing. We just had a wonderful mini camp in which I came out of the starting linebacker. I was pumped. It was getting good. I was getting some recognition for the previous three years of hard work.

Until I showed up late.

As I walked out to practice that day dragging my head, our head football coach gathered the team together in a brief but pointed meeting. He never looked me in the eye, but addressed the whole team, "The quickest way to move down the depth chart is to show up late." I had lost my starting job.

I was crushed, all the momentum I had been building was all for naught because I had not gotten up on time for practice.

My coach never referenced the moment again. The point was made, I was late and had to pay the consequence of losing my starting job.

Where ever you are, if you want to make a good impression-show up on time. If you want to make a terrible impression-show up late. Someone once said, "I do good and no one remembers, I do bad and no one forgets." Both speak volumes.



No comments:

Post a Comment