Monday, April 14, 2014

Framework for solving problems

If you are problem free, then we need to talk. Everybody has problems, and it’s how we deal with those problems that reveals our character.
 
Three possible ways to look at problems. 

1. You are just getting out of solving a major problem.
2. You are in a problem right now. 
3. You are about to get into a problem.

Know theses three things above, I want to provide you a frame work to help you solve problems within your restaurant. 

Ask for help
  • I have been very surprised how many people have problems they don’t talk about while working. 
  • If you are struggling with an issue, take it to someone and work together to solve it. Two heads working together with the goal of resolution is powerful.
Use the core values of Chick-fil-A as a guide to asking the right question which can lead to the right solution.

1. Customers First

Does this problem represent an opportunity for better service to our guest? If we worked this out, would our guest notice a difference in how we conducting business on a day to day basis? Have you thought about the problem from the guest perspective? 

2. Working Together

Am I using the resources around me to help me solve my problem? Am I tapping into the team for ideas and inspiration and accountability? Does the manner in which I am working to solve this problem reflect teamwork? Are we treating team members with honor, dignity, and respect? 

3. Stewardship

When looking at the problem, should I note how well things are taken care of in the restaurant-labor, facilities, materials, time, sales, money, human capital? Am I being responsible for what task have been given to me? When looking at me, does my team see that I take care of things with care? 

4. Continuous Improvement

Does the work I do today show improvement over yesterday? Am I the model for continuous improvement? What have I done in the last ninety days that demonstrates improvement?

5. Personal Excellence

Is this my best work? How could I have personally done it better? Does the work that is entrusted to me have my stamp, my brand on it?


When you are in the middle of the problem, it is hard to see the forest for the trees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment