Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Leaders are Readers

Books are a fascinating way to learn something, go somewhere or meet someone.

This morning I was reading a book and it referenced another book I read years ago about dreaming big. Really big. The book I was reading was Platform, by Michael Hyatt and the book he referenced was The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz. My copy of the David's book is about to fall apart. I read it about 6 years ago and it forever changed the way I viewed the world. It was powerful stuff to me because I wasn't thinking largely enough at the time.

This morning I got all misty eyed because I could feel the connection between David, Michael, and myself. Now I know the power of associations, but when I came across a book that I read, that meant a lot to me, and to a writer I like, it was euphoric.

I want that feeling again. Connection-emotion-intimacy. I know how masculine those previous three words sound and I'm not shying away from them. I want to feel the way I did this morning again.

I only did it through reading. Picking up a book and seeing what is inside. You gotta try. See if you can't find an experience that could move you to tears. Why not? You want to wake up and just float through life without friends and family, and a closeness that only you and the other person can feel?

Books can give you that if you just let them in a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment