Thursday, April 3, 2014

I almost lost it tonight

I was asked a hard question at lunch today.

“When was the last time you were angry?” 

As lunch ended, we parted ways and my mind lingered on the topic, when was the last time I was actually angry?

borrowed from here
It got me thinking about that moment and the other person in the conversation and their feelings. Sure I knew how I feeling, but how did the person who I directed my anger feel? At the time I am thinking to myself, why were they asking those questions? What angle were they trying to take? I thought about how rash my voice and body language was, even to the point of scowling. I felt confused and a little crazy, but what really surprised me was the answer to my friends’ question. What was I supposed to say about the last moment I was angry? Do I tell him the truth, or do I "beat around the bush" aka lying? 

It was a very revealing question, and I am glad he asked. 

My mentor Jim Rohn gave me these wonderful words: “Emotions must go to school. It’s OK to kick and scream and fall on the floor when you are three, but not thirty three. By the time you are 33 you must have your emotions so well educated that they work for you instead of against you.” What an incredible philosophy. 

As a leader we, myself included, need to learn how to handle our emotions so they work for us instead of against us. 

When was the last time you were angry AND took the anger to school and let it work for you instead of against you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment