Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Systems and Processes

I have been asked by everyone I have told about my job change in the recent weeks, "What do you do for Chick-fil-A?" And the answer always seems to surprise people, "I sell chicken." I'll admit that most people at first either laugh, don't get it, or name a wholesale chicken company like Claxton or Purdue.



As of right now I don't have a title and for those at the home office for Chick-fil-A and for some people I know, that can be a bit scary.

A brief conversation with my boss yesterday clearly summed up what I was thinking but not articulating. It went like this:

Alex "You know why you're back there right?"
Austin "Not really, I mean, I think I have a good idea."
Alex "I put you back there so you can figure it out."
Austin "Got it. That makes sense now."

30 seconds conversation and I have a new heading. A new job description.

For anyone that hasn't worked in a restaurant, the kitchen is where the magic happens. According to a recent study done by Chick-fil-A's marketing team, they stated that the top two important things to guest when trying a restaurant for the first time was order accuracy and taste.

If we make a sandwich with pickles and the guest ask for their sandwich without them, that's a big change in the way they ordered it, and the way it taste. Two strikes and they haven't even taken a bite of the food yet.

My job right now is to focus on the systems and processes of what happens in the kitchen. What role each person has-to what they do when they are in that role. I don't know if they make titles for people who work on list, but that's the short version of what I do.

Yesterday I made a list, today I will edit the list our team edited overnight.

I have heard the old story about Jack Welch, famous CEO at GE for a number of years. The story goes, during a class he was teaching a student raised his hand and asked, "What's the most important thing in a business?" He pauses for a long time before answering. Almost uncomfortably long, and about that point you want to ask someone, did you hear me, he raises his head and says, "Who does what," in a long and exaggerated tone.

This story and statement is true of our restaurant. Who does what is the most important thing. I spoke with three disgruntled team members yesterday who are not in their sweet spots of roles. What kind of magic could we create if they were in the right role?

Looks like room for improvement if you ask me.

Have you ever had a brief conversation that changed your role and the way you did business? Feel free to comment below.

2 comments:

  1. Paul talks about this idea in 1 Corinthians 12.

    To be different members of the same body. To have different roles for the same purpose. No one less important or more important. Just different.

    Although he is speaking of much higher matters, I think the concept can be applied here.

    -DGLP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. v 7-but the manistifcation of the Spirit is given to each one for the for the profit of all...

      What powerful way to describe to us that we all have gifts. And those differences should be celebrated, not hated on.

      Delete