Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Listening to others

One of the most powerful lessons I've learned as a leader at Chick-fil-A is the skill of listening.

I have been blessed with the ability to learn by listening, and this proves very challenging because I don't have perfect hearing. For those who know me, my nickname can sometimes be Austin "What did you say?" Watts.

Even though I have a hearing deficiency, most of what I do at work and how I respond is because I've learned to listen well. When a guest tells me they are cold, we change the temperature. When a team member complains about how hard a cleaning task is, I know that we have someone else in the restaurant encouraging them to clean. Listening well is a skill, if you are able to keep your ear close to the ground, then you can learn to see what's coming before it happens.

A wise man once said a cord of three strands is not quickly broken. Learn to listen, and if you are hearing similar things from multiple people, pay attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment